Monday, February 20, 2012

Wardrobe Overhaul

Do you ever just get tired of your entire closet? 
I was in a clothes rut for a while, but now I'm happy to say I'm out of it. 
And all it cost me was about $13 and some time. 
$13...seriously. 
How?
I revamped some pieces from the back of my closet and bought a few items at DI to make over.
Ta-da. New clothes for super cheap.

First up, my "new" skinny jeans!
I'm not one to spend a ton on 'fad' clothing.  I personally think skinny jeans belong in this category.  I just can't imagine they're going to stick around in fashionland for a long time.  Therefore, I didn't want to spend good money on them.  Maybe time will prove me wrong, and if so, I may buy me a nice pair.  But for now, here is how I got my skinny jeans on a budget.

I bought a pair of DI jeans for maybe $5, sewed up each of the legs to look like skinny jeans, hemmed the bottom of the jeans because I'm short, and voila!


Second... a new printed dress.
Also, a DI find.  For $8. Only problem was that it was just a hair too short.  No problem around here... I just cut the dress around the waistline, added 3 inches of material, sewed it back together, and now it works! 
I wear a sash (from my closet) around the waistline, but I knew this sash was going with the dress when I eyed the dress.



Third item...a cute ruffled skirt.

I transformed an old linen skirt from the back of my closet that I never wore.
I copied the style of one of my favorite skirts.
I love the layer of ruffles sandwiched in there.
And seriously, the ruffle layer was super easy to sew.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Modern Tradition Quilts said...

Lookin' good! I hope the skinny jeans fad doesn't last too long either...I've never seen anyone who actually looks good in them (even those skinny waif models).